Internets, I am pissed off.
Remember the game last year about what color bra you were wearing at the moment? The purpose was to increase awareness of October Breast Cancer Awareness month. It was a tremendous success and we had men wondering for days what was with the... colors and it made it to the news. This year's game has to do with your handbag/purse, where we put our handbag the moment we get home for example "I like it on the couch", "I like it on the kitchen counter", "I like it on the dresser" well you get the idea. Just put your answer as your status with nothing more than that and cut n paste this message and forward to all your FB female friends to their inbox. The bra game made it to the news. Let's see how powerful we women really are!!! REMEMBER - DO NOT PUT YOUR ANSWER AS A REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE- PUT IT IN YOUR STATUS!!! PASS THIS TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW
@cleolinda: If you want to raise breast cancer awareness, coy references on Facebook to your bra color or purse aren't going to do shit.
@cleolinda: You know what might? Using your status update to list the people you've lost to breast cancer, or the dates you lost them.
@cleolinda: Not this coy "Let's get the boys to wonder what we're talking about" bullshit, which is THE OPPOSITE OF AWARENESS.
@emandink: @cleolinda Is *that* what the "I like mine _____" thing is about? Oy.
@cleolinda: YES. IT DOES NOT EVEN MAKE SENSE. I don't "like it on the stairs," I set my purse down on the stairs, and PURSES AREN'T EVEN THE RIGHT END.
@tokaikko: @cleolinda Wait really? When I got a message trying to get me to do one of them, it didn't mention breast cancer anywhere.
@cleolinda: @tokaikko Yeah, that's what happened last year. That's HOW LITTLE IT HAS TO DO WITH ANYTHING.
@chekur: But cleo! How else will we gain awareness for a serious cause if we don't horribly confuse people?
@morganwolf: I like it... crammed full of receipts and thrown in a corner? Somehow I feel like that isn't helping anyone's cause.
YEAH, I SPOILED YOUR GAME, AND I'LL DO IT AGAIN.
1) YOU CAN'T RAISE AWARENESS OF SOMETHING IF NO ONE KNOWS WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.
2) As mentioned, both this year and last year, there was a memetic drift where people stopped even connecting it to breast cancer...
3) ...which gives a good suggestion of what this is really about, which is: baiting guys with innuendo for attention. Tee hee!
4) I'm pretty sure we're all aware of breast cancer; this needs to be about something more useful, like reminding people of the prevalence of it (which would be the point of, say, listing people you care about who have had it) and thus the need for regular exams and early detection. "Hurr hurr, she likes it on the counter" DOES NOT ACCOMPLISH THAT.
5) Cervical cancer wants its metaphor back.
You know what? Put all the innuendo in your status update that you want. But don't act like it made any kind of difference. You might actually have to talk about cancer to do that.
ETA: Linking is fine. Also: "We're trying to raise awareness, MOTHER."
- Nude beige, on the stairs