Meanwhile, here are the songs that get stuck in your head when you are sick in bed and helpless to do anything about it. Like too sick to even get on Twitter and rid yourself of whichever song by inflicting it on others. Yeah. It was pretty bad.
1) It must have been some foodie blog--no, it was the Castle Story app, I remember now, there was something about how your pig "dropped" bacon, like you were somehow farming bacon off this pig, and more rarely you might get a truffle, and one of the game characters said, "Yes, that's right--everyday I'm trufflin'," and then I died, I died all day a living death, reliving the solid year when my sister was obsessed with LMFAO, cursing Castle Story the whole way.
2) Then I remembered that time someone dubbed the Star Wars cantina music in over the video
and I felt better.
3) Then I got the Star Wars cantina music stuck in my head and I cursed every living thing.
4) "I TOOK MY HANDS OFF THE WHEEEEEEEE~EEEEEEEELLLLLLLL"
5) This, which I associate with The Princess Bride, and not "Theme from The Karate Kid, Part II."
6) This, which is so charmingly, innocently '80s that I wish I could write a rom com that was nothing but 90 minutes of something this earnest.
7) Such hard. Much habit. Wow.
8) "Baa baa mouton noir, as-tu de la laine? Oui Monsieur, oui Monsieur, trois poches pleines!"
9) This, which is actually about drug addiction, but it was played five times an hour during Christmas season 1989, so that's what I associate it with (Christmas) (the '80s goes without saying). (Huh, apparently Jennifer Love Hewitt and Fergie are on background vocals.)
10) This, which is neither a ballad nor about Sleeping Beauty, but I enjoy Sophie B. Hawkins.
11) This, which is allowed to stay.
12) This, which for some reason, I believed (as a wee Cleo) was about a girl who got carried off by a tornado and that's why the guy was so sad. I'm watching it now though and wondering why he seems to identify Sara, Queen of Glamour Shots, with his mother going away...? Holy shit, there really is a tornado? Maybe his mom was legit carried off by one? And then Sara used to hang out in Mom's basket swing but now it's empty (again) because Sara realized Grace Slick was never dropping by so she peaced out?
WAIT WTF THAT'S REBECCA DE MORNAY?
13) "Everyone wants a Log! You're gonna love it, Log! Come on and get your Log! Everyone needs a Log! LOG LOG LOG LOG LOOOOOOOG"
Usually it was about this point that I would ask for more Aleve and pass out again.
Meanwhile, I am still mulling over what to do about the Dracula recaps, because I am straight-up loath to give up on them. I had a project I just finished out of SHEER GODDAMNED CUSSEDNESS, and on the whole, I liked it enough that I'd kind of like ~Finishing Things~ to be how I roll from now on. At the same time, I have learned--both from my own experience and the very, very painful experience of other people I know--that sometimes you have to know when to fold 'em. And somewhere between the two, I have to remind myself that this is the internet, where you can do just about anything any way you want to do it, and there's no reason I can't try to get this done by taking a completely different approach. I just don't know what that approach is yet--
OH! Official notice: For reasons just discussed, I will not be liveblogging the Golden Globes on Sunday. I'm thinking about doing sort of a judicious live-tweeting combined with collecting the best tweets I see and putting them together on Storify. I've done liveblogs of award shows since--Jesus, I don't know, 2001 or 2002? I feel like I need to move on from a format that exhaustive at this point, given the massive widespread availability of videos, recaps, tweets, other liveblogs, etc. I don't know--the way I look at it is, if I try less labor-intensive formats, maybe I'll be around more often. So we'll see.