Meanwhile: The latest LJ hoohah. I'm simply going to set this information out here and let you decide as you like:
1. SUP discontinued (new) Basic, ad-free accounts. Only they didn't really bother to tell anyone.
2. When LJers protested, they shot back that they had already said that they were going to make changes. This was one of them.
3. Then SUP started filtering certain "controversial" fandom interests. Then the filter disappeared mysteriously.
4. A user boycott--"No posts, no comments, no content"--was proposed for this Friday.
5. Anton Nosik then gave an interview in Russian where he compared the boycott to blackmail, purportedly saying, "In this situation, where they attempt to blackmail and to intimidate us, threatening to destroy our business, there is a business-reason not to reward this behavior.... It would probably be best to reconsider the recent changes. But from our point of view it is now necessary to wait until after the boycott has faded. Let it pass and have the voices of protest fade. Then we can consider changing this policy."
6. People were unhappy. Translations varied ("Russians in general tend to be more direct in speech (and use stronger language) than English-speaking Westerners are used to. Translating a Russian interview into English directly will make pretty much any Russian sound like a complete dickwad, because cultural expectations are completely different. It just really frustrates me that people are not taking into account that we're dealing with a different culture here, not just a different company").
7. And then it was alleged that SUP tried to blackmail Brad with a prostitute. According to... someone. Allegedly.
Here's my problem: as I explained it elsewhere, I'm between a rock and a hard place here, because I think SUP is even shittier at customer service than Six Apart, and they seem to understand their customer base even less--to the point where I'm not even sure they care about it at all. On the other hand, I was given a permanent account as a gift, and I love love love my LJ. It's like having your dream house and neighbors you love... in a town with a really corrupt mayor. (Note: This is an analogy, not a specific allegation.) It might cause people you like to leave, and people might get mistreated, but... it's your dream house! You don't want to leave! Where would you even go? YOU LOVE THIS HOUSE!
(My ideal solution, actually, would be that SUP gets just as sick of the easily-riled LJ userbase as Six Apart did and sells it again--maybe to Google? Please? Doesn't Brad work there now? It's totally possible, you guys.)
At the same time, I am starting to look into mirroring my journal at other locations. I'm mostly trying to figure out the