Best animated feature film of the year
* "Coraline" (Focus Features) Henry Selick
* "Fantastic Mr. Fox" (20th Century Fox) Wes Anderson
* "The Princess and the Frog" (Walt Disney) John Musker and Ron Clements
* "The Secret of Kells" (GKIDS) Tomm Moore
* "Up" (Walt Disney) Pete Docter
Pete Docter wins for Up! No one is surprised! Poor Coraline. The show seems to be moving along at quite a clip, by the way.
Steve Martin: "Two young actresses who have no idea who we are!" Please welcome! Miley Cyrus, who must be wearing the tallest heels known to man! And Amanda Seyfried, who looks great in another pale sparkly strapless gown! They are hauling their skirts across the stage in both hands! Also, they are kind of giggly, and possibly tipsy. Best original song! Wow, they really don't give a shit about the music this year, do they? Third award up, man. No one's performing any of these live.
Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original song)
* "Almost There" from "The Princess and the Frog" (Walt Disney) Music and Lyric by Randy Newman
* "Down in New Orleans" from "The Princess and the Frog" (Walt Disney) Music and Lyric by Randy Newman
* "Loin de Paname" from "Paris 36" (Sony Pictures Classics) Music by Reinhardt Wagner Lyric by Frank Thomas
* "Take It All" from "Nine" (The Weinstein Company) Music and Lyric by Maury Yeston
* "The Weary Kind (Theme from Crazy Heart)" from "Crazy Heart" (Fox Searchlight) Music and Lyric by Ryan Bingham and T Bone Burnett
"The Weary Kind" wins! No surprises so far! Is it just me, or is there something about the camerawork that's different this year? The lighting? It's a lot more brightly lit in the auditorium than usual. Aw, Ryan Bingham: "I love you more than rainbows, baby." I want someone to say that to me one day. Mr. T Bone Burnett says nothing. His shades say everything necessary.
Please welcome! Chris Pine on the mid-room dais! He's here with a clip from District 9, because he was in a space alien movie, get it? (Side note: My mother and I were at Sam's, and she happened to see the DVD on the just-come-out display, and shrieked, "DISTRICT 9 IS OUT? I WANTED TO SEE THAT!!!!!" "You did?" "WELL IT HAS ALIENS IN IT, DOESN'T IT????!????" Well, that's true. And yet I can't get her to go see Avatar. Snap.)